The Friday 5 is a popular series of 5 mile races and accompanying junior races held on Friday evenings between May and July, across Suffolk and Essex. The races are always family friendly and are a great way to spend a summers evening. A new junior series built around the existing junior races is being trialled in 2018.
Rules applying to all each race as a standalone event
The following rules apply to each of the junior races, as agreed by all organising clubs.
- All races are open to affiliated and non-affiliated runners.
- Junior age categories: U9, U11, U13 and U15 Male and Female.
- For the purposes of each race as a standalone event, age categories will be determined by the age on race day. Prizes may be awarded at some events.
Series scoring – Individuals
- Age categories: U9, U11, U13 and U15 Male and Female.
- For the purposes of series scoring, a runner’s age category will be determined by their age on the date of the first race in the series and will not change during the series.
- Points will be awarded to each individual based on where they finished in their respective age category.
- Scoring will start at 500 for first runner, then 499 for second etc.
- The best 4 out of 6 race scores will count towards the series total.
- In the event of a tiebreak situation in the top 3 runners of a category, the runner who finished ahead in the most races (when both runners were competing) will take the higher overall finish position. If the tiebreak cannot be resolved in this way, the runners will be awarded a joint finish position e.g., joint 1st with nobody finishing 2nd.
- At the end of the series prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each age category.
- Series medals and category prizes will be awarded to runners who have competed in a minimum of 4 races (out of a possible 6).
Series medals and trophies will be presented at the Ipswich Jaffa Ekiden Relay which follows a few weeks after the last race. Runners and teams are responsible for collecting their medals or making arrangements for them to be collected on their behalf.