Friday 5 Junior Series (2019)
Rules applying to all each race as a standalone event
The following rules apply to each of the junior races, as agreed by all organising clubs.
- All races are open to affiliated and non-affiliated runners.
- The following age categories will apply: U9, U11, U13 and U15 Male and Female.
- Age categories will be based on School Year to ensure that competitors remain in the same category throughout the series. This is necessary because some events have a shorter race for the U9’s and we need to ensure that the competitors are put into the correct race.
- Under 9 Boys & Girls (School Years 3 & 4) – Competitors who are aged 8 or under on 31st August prior to the commencement of the series
- Under 11 Boys & Girls (School Years 5 & 6) – Competitors who are aged 9 or 10 on 31st August prior to the commencement of the series
- Under 13 Boys & Girls (School Years 7 & 8) – Competitors who are aged 11 or 12 on 31st August prior to the commencement of the series
- Under 15 Boys & Girls (School Years 9 & 10) – Competitors who are aged 13 or 14 on 31st August prior to the commencement of the series
Series scoring – Individuals
- Points will be awarded to each individual based on where they finished in their respective age category.
- Scoring will start at 500 for first runner, then 499 for second etc.
- The best 3 out of 6 race scores will count towards the series total.
- In the event of a tiebreak situation in the top 3 runners of a category, the runner who finished ahead in the most races (when both runners were competing) will take the higher overall finish position. If the tiebreak cannot be resolved in this way, the runners will be awarded a joint finish position e.g., joint 1st with nobody finishing 2nd.
- At the end of the series prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each age category.
- Series medals and category prizes will be awarded to runners who have competed in a minimum of 3 races (out of a possible 6).
Series scoring – Teams
- The team competition will only include runners in the U11, U13 and U15 age categories. This is because U9’s will run in separate shorter races at most events and therefore cannot be scored directly against the other age category runners.
- Only teams affiliated to UK:Athletics will be eligible for team prizes. Scoring will only be applied to runners representing an eligible team i.e., non-eligible runners will be removed from the finishing list before scores are applied.
- Points will be awarded to each eligible individual based on where they finished in their gender. Scoring will start at 500 for first in each gender category i.e., the first boy will get 500 points and the first girl will each get 500 points. The second boy and second girl will each get 499 points each etc.
- The overall team score for each race will be the combined scores of the first 3 boys and 3 girls. Incomplete teams will still receive a score based on the runners who do compete.
- The best 3 of 6 races are used for final result.
- In the event of a tiebreak situation, a joint finish position will be awarded e.g., joint 1st with nobody finishing 2nd.
Series medals and trophies will be presented at the Ipswich Jaffa Ekiden Relay which follows a few weeks after the last race. Runners and teams are responsible for collecting their medals or making arrangements for them to be collected on their behalf.